Followers

Sunday 28 April 2013

Vintage sewing machine

Hi,

The weather here is finally turning spring like. It feels like the winter has lasted forever. Just so nice to have sunshine!

I've been moaning a lot about my little sewing sewing machine which doesn't sew very well. Well you'll never guess what ... I was talking about it at work and one of the other teachers at school said she had a machine in her loft that a friend gave to her. She was emigrating to /australia and it was too heavy to take. My friend at school has had it in her loft ever since.

So here it is!Heavy wasn't the word. My goodness it weighed a tonne! I opened the case and although it smells a bit musty it looked beautiful (can a sewing machine be beautiful?). It has the original manual too. When I opened the little bit on the side, inside was loads of little bits.
There are threads in there too. 
So I threaded it up and put a piece of material underneath and it sews like a dream! I am soooooo happy! There are a couple of issues though and one is quite major. Firstly, there is no reverse, so I can't secure the stitching. I really don't know what to do about that. Secondly, after about 15 minutes, the machine starts stitching all by itself! I have to turn it off and wait  or so minutes and then just do a few short bursts. Something is obviously overheating. I need to find someone who can fix it. Just don't know who!

On to the black and white quilt. I've had some lovely advice, especially from Helen. I'm going to unpick some bits and see if I can fix it. 

I've also started a baby quilt. Pics of that to follow. 

Have a great day.

Ally
xx

2 comments:

  1. Looking at this picture reminded me of my first Singer. The reverse on that was the stitch length regulator - it was pushed up to sew in reverse...
    As for sewing on it's own, something in the foot pedal might be sticking. Lucky you on the machine fine, even if it does need a little TLC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look on Yahoo groups. There are some vintage machine groups that can help you. I'll bet there is one specifically for vintage Pfaff machines. You've probably got an absolute gem, but just need to learn more about it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...